Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunny Days at the Beach

Welcome to the seaside! We took the train to Port Adelaide and had a wander around the streets. It was rather strange because the area had very few people out and about due to the holiday weekend. I felt a little creeped out by the lack of fellow adventurers. 


There were more people along the waterfront, and next time we visit we might go on a dolphin watching trip. The big sailing ships were very interesting. 

The Port Adelaide Maritime Museum had an exhibition of ship's surgeon's items and information. Of course we couldn't possibly walk past that! I'm really glad I never emigrated from foreign lands on a sailing ship. All kinds of things went horribly wrong. My big problem would be sea sickness, and I'm sure it would all go downhill from there. The Maritime Museum is well worth a visit, whatever the special exhibition. It is really fascinating. Apologies for the murky photos- the light was rather dim. 

Johnny was lucky he didn't get harpooned.

After that happy morning beside the sea, we decided another watery adventure was a great idea. We took a tram out to Glenelg, which was a much busier place. 


There were families, dogs, sporty types, swimmers and even people setting up for three different weddings. It is a beautiful spot. We even saw a dolphin. 

We walked to the end of the jetty, then I took my shoes off and paddled along the beach in the waves. The water wasn't warm, but really pleasant on a hot day. The sand is soft and there are lots of shells to look at. 

Yes, I'm wearing my orange dress again. I purchased three of these floaty vintage-style dresses from Ezibuy recently and they are so fabulous to wear. No ironing required, so perfect for travelling.

This amazing house was situated right on the waterfront. Maybe it isn't a private residence, but I'd move there in an instant.

There were rocks with interesting creatures living among them, so I spent some time peering into cracks and crevices. Not very practical in a dress, but I didn't care.

There's a great little museum at Glenelg, right near the jetty, which is free to visit. It is well worth taking the time to have a look around.

The public transport in Adelaide is fantastic. You can get a pre-paid card just like they have in Melbourne, and then jump on and off the trams, trains and buses. In the central city you can easily walk around, but it is easy to go further afield too.

Next time we are taking a day trip out of the city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love my Ezibuy dress as well, so easy to throw on!!! Loving the holiday posts, looks gorgeous over there, would love to come with you next time. Love to you both, Megxxxx