Pedagogy is the art or science of teaching.
Golly gosh. In my case I'm not sure if the word pedagogy applies to anything I do during the day. Here is a basic rundown of what I did today:
- Morning talk (circle time) with a viewing of the photos from wacky hair day last week.
- Then we had a dance to something lively that I can't recall.
- We had a talk about Queen's Birthday and made some collaged crowns to display on the wall (they like to collage and can all put thing onto paper like glitter and buttons).
- We washed hands and then had morning tea (like a family with a focus on social skills)
- Then we put the jackets on everyone and sent them out to play for 20mins.
- When the bell rang we rounded up the students because most of them don't come in unless you retrieve them.
- Everyone went to the toilet (nappy changes etc)
- Then we rotated through art lessons, individual activities and the multisensory room.
- We went for a walk around the block because the trikes were not out.
- We came back and washed hands then had lunch.
- I had 1 hour for lunch so I ate my salad and wrote reports. The kids played outside.
- When the bell rang it was round-up time again. Then toilet.
- Then we had a shared story.
- We all trooped next door for gymnastics (in which we are actually doing massage and relaxation)
- When we came back to class I got out the instruments and we played some music.
- Everyone got their bags on and we took them to wait for their taxis.
I must say I think I am kind of getting close to needing a change of class. I've been with the severe senior group for about five years. There is a point when you would love someone to respond to a story that you are reading (listening quietly would be good, in some cases). I guess I must be incredibly patient because I've been saying the same things to the same students for such a long time, and things don't change a lot. But we do get lovely surprises, occasional super progress and lots of laughs.
So I hope that you have learned a new word today, and therefore I managed to educate someone!
Ps. Did a good job on my eating today.