Sunday, April 13, 2008

Treasures!

I had a busy day yesterday. We bought taps for the new house, and in between I managed to persuade Mr B to take me to the most FABULOUS pretty shop. If you love florals, shabby chic, vintage, embroidery, quilting, patchwork and dear little gifts you must pop into Primroses. Since primroses are one of my favourite flowers I was delighted with the name. In fact if I had a yellow labrador I would call her Primrose. These are the treasures I managed to buy in the brief time I had while Mr B lurked in the car with a coffee:

Not only did I get fabric, I also got great advice. Primroses is at 150 Cashmere Road in the Cracroft Shopping Centre in Christchurch, New Zealand. I'm planning two quilts, a pink and green and a pink and blue one. I love spots with florals. The Primroses website is www.primroses.co.nz.

I thought I would show you my little linen lavender hearts before they go to their new homes. I'm not entirely pleased with the way the linen sewed up into hearts. It was great to embroider, but quite stiff, and didn't curve nicely into hearts.

The linen is vintage, and so are the buttons, which are tiny little mother-of-pearl ones. These are just presents but it would be fun to start making things to sell. I might have to simplify the embroidery a little to make them more cost-effective to make. The embroidery takes hours.

I am in the wonderful position of having Mrs CT as my surrogate Christchurch Mummy. She doesn't care if I cry randomly. She gives me great advice when I need it, plus she spoils me sometimes. She told me to go and get a teaspoon for her and in the drawer I found my Dairy Milk mint chocolate! You can't get it in New Zealand, so she got me some in Australia.
Here it is, partly chomped, sitting among some of my treasures. Can you see the primrose china?I have a wee collection. I'm crazy about floral chintz china. The crocodile nut cracker is one of a pair. They belonged to Grandma and Aunt Beth. So Meg and I have one each now, although her one is still sitting facing this one because it is hard to part them. I'm also very fond of my glass vintage lemon squeezer. It probably had a jug with it originally. Works brilliantly.

Mrs CT also gave me this fabulous skirt made of recycled sari fabric.
Ruby is wearing it to show you how nicely it falls. I love the colours! Thank you so much Mrs CT! XXX

Finally, although not the best of photos, I have to show you Katie with her duckies.
Dear Katie loves her babies. She likes to sleep with them under her head. She does eventually ruin them, but I spotted a new one waiting in the pantry. Katie never learned how to play as a young dog as she was kept for breeding. Now she is living a normal, happy doggy life she is learning how to play and likes to fetch her duckies and bound around with them. Kisses to you Katie! Actually I did manage to give her velvety head a brief kiss last night. She is terribly anxious about her head and neck area due to some past maltreament, so that was a big achievement.
Hope you are having a lovely weekend. I've updated Taming The Chocolate Baby too. XXX

Just a wee update: We got the slide showers and mixers for the bathrooms from Placemakers today. We got an amazing price. We are really having fun taking control of the project and making our own choices.

14 comments:

Dianne said...

I'm back, Poppy Black and I want to tell you that your needlework on the hearts is absolutely gorgeous. You did a terrific job! I'm jealous. I also love the fabrics that you picked out for your quilts. They are going to be so pretty when you get it done. I also wanted to let you know that the skirt is beautiful. Love the pattern and colors.

I am especially fond of your dog. I had a German Shepherd as a girl and I love that breed of dog. If I were to ever get a dog, that is the breed I would choose. She looks beautiful.

Thanks for stopping by my site and giving me your wonderful comments.

Anonymous said...

HI Babe...you are right...loved reading about your adventures. I wish we lived in the same place! Can't wait for you guys to come up.
Love the fabric...I am VERY keen on spots as well. Our other spare room is going to be that pale vintage green...a shrine to Cath Kidston...one day...Glad you got your choccy and the hearts are fabulous, you could definitely sell them...I love them...so pretty...maybe you could do some embroidery on one of my cardigans??

Love you (and Mr Black!!)xxx

Anonymous said...

Boohoo...still can't out a comment on Chocolate Baby..so have pasted my comment here....

Go the Reiki...from the worlds greatest sceptic...can't do any harm so why not.
Hope the pumpkin soup was nice...have finished my assignment, no longer feeling the urge to kill anyone!! Wonder if Reiki would take away my stress...ESP me some of that up here to Nelson.
LOve youxxx (Meg)

Anonymous said...

Your embroidery is beautiful. I'm glad I live in Australia, because I think Cadbury make the best chocolate.

Dianne said...

I forgot to tell you that I love primroses (the flower not the shop..don't know about that). I had primroses when I lived in Upstate NY and they were beautiful and they came up early in the Spring. So beautiful. Your teapot is lovely.

Poppy Black said...

Oooh yes, you can't beat Cadbury chocolate. Even fancy Swiss ones don't taste as delicious to me. I might write to Cadbury in NZ and ask them why they don't sell the dairy milk peppermint here. Good excuse to go travelling! Thanks for visiting, Tracey XXX

Poppy Black said...

Hi Dianne,
I'm so fond of flowers but I particularly love primroses. Actually it is hard to choose a favourite flower- camellias for their perfection, daffodils because my lovely mummy grows millions (literally), daphne for the scent, roses because they are divine, pansies for their little faces ... the list could go on forever! I'm so glad you found me XXX

Poppy Black said...

Miss Ruby-Two-Shoes
Embroidery on a cardie sounds like my kind of thing, only we will have to use a thicker thread and needle I think. Otherwise I'll be stitching away for weeks. Love you too! XXXX

Poppy Black said...

My world record of comments today- but I did write most of them myself! Any lurkers out there, add a comment please and make the record real LOL!

Terri said...

I just discovered your blog through my mother's (Dianne) and I love it. I love your crafting and you are very talented! I'll be back :-).

Terri

Gigibird said...

Hearts are notoriously difficult to get right – I see a lot of dreadful ‘hearts’ looking like v’s – perhaps you should work on your template shape a bit?
You are obviously the queen of French knots:)

Poppy Black said...

Hi Terri, Thank you so much for your lovely comment. Before I started blogging I had lots of stuff for hobbies, but wasn't at all productive. Now I see lots of other wonderful crafters out there sharing their work, so I am inspired! I'm working on three quilts at the moment, plus some little projects as well. I work full time as a special needs teacher, so fit hobbies around that. I'm going to pop over and visit you now! XXX

Poppy Black said...

Hi Gigibird,
You are so right, hearts are tricky things. I like mine to be plump and symmetrical, rather than long and skinny, although skinny ones can look quite neat too. I will experiment with my template. At the moment I'm using a lovely heart Alison gave me, which is a perfect shape. I'm not too bad at French knots, but the ones I use on hydrangeas are colonial knots. They are really hard to work out until you get the rhythm. They are also called candlewicking knots, and are lovely and plump. XXX

Anonymous said...

Hi Poppy, thank you so much for your sweet and encouraging comment on my blog.

It is nice to 'meet' a New Zealand blogger. My husband and I honeymooned in New Zealand, so I have a great fondess for your country. Christchurch is one of the prettiest cities I have ever visited. Also my in-laws live in Oamaru but I haven't visited their place yet.

Kate