Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A few odd things on the farm

I am mad about fungi. I've been stomping all around the farm searching for interesting specimens. I've also found one or two other strange things on my travels.



This is a member of the Boletus (I think - I'd check but I'm scared blogger will gobble up my post if I muck around) family. Feel free to correct me. It can be identified by the underside of the cap, which has pores instead of gills. Very fascinating. Probably edible too, but I'm not game to have a go. This one grows in the company of silver birch trees. There is another species which is similar but more ochre and bright in colour which grows under the larch trees.



Now this item is a bit of a mystery. Can you tell what it is? Answer at the bottom of this post.



Take a look a this. Do you know what it is? Its common name is the Icicle Fungus. This is about 25cm across and looks like sponge. It is growing on the cut side of a big log that is leaning on a bank in the shade. I must get Mr B to take some photos with his macro lens. It is in quite a tricky spot, so I was lucky to find it.



Look out Mum and Dad! By the time you get back the house will be overgrown by jungle.



This bark is amazing! It peels back to reveal beautiful layers of colour. Mum, you would tell me what the name of the tree is. It looks like curls of chocolate.


Mr B and I have a lovely time taking photos together. He takes beautiful photos and I think we should have some blown up and put on canvas for our new house. No, he's not odd. Well, not usually.

Bloggy news:
  • Meg and Ryan came with Miss Poo tonight. The dogs seem to be able to tear around the paddocks in pitch darkness.
  • I got my cello out and had a lovely time practising, although I did have a turf war with Mr B over me using the lounge to practise. I won that battle. He just wanted the big tv.
  • I loved watching Hot Fuzz last night. It is a great British comedy/drama with plenty of hilarious action scenes. It made me laugh, which is the main thing.
  • The answer to the mystery object question above. That is (why, I have to ask?????) a fish skin hanging on the washing line. Mum and Dad, are you planning to make little fish leather shoes for your first born grandchild? I'm pleased that it is hanging right in the middle where no washing ever ends up.
I might post some people pictures tomorrow. We are planning to visit town and possibly Mapua, to seek out the legendary Naked Bun custard squares. XXX

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Poppy, I love reading your blog because there is such fun, good and unusual stuff in your writings that I have never heard of and you tell about it in such an ordinary everyday kind on converstional way! I love it. I had no idea what your pictures were of but loved the mystery and anticipated the answer!!! You are a great photographer. Keep 'em coming!!!

Gigibird said...

Fungus and fish skin? Yuk, yuk and thrice yuk.

Mary said...

Hi Poppy, reading back over your last last few posts and see you are busy and having fun at the farm. Looks so beautiful there and your pics of the trees dressed in their Autumnal gowns are just breathtaking.

I've almost needed to get my wellies out this week - at long last we are getting some much needed rain. The garden is so green it hurts my eyes just to look! DH got his new lawn mower and was able to mow at last - this next month or so it will remain lush and then the heat and humidity of the North Carolina Summer will arrive, then both the grass and I will wrinkle, crinkle and collapse!!!
I'm thinking New Zealand in July would be good!!!!!

Enjoy your holiday.

Poppy Black said...

Thank you for your wonderful comments Dianne! You will be pleased to hear that I intend to keep the posts coming. I love blogging. I decided to do an entry a day over the holidays, and so far I have managed. I only manage one or two posts during term time. XXX

Dear Gigibird,
I'm hoping to grace the pages of my blog with more oddities from my life from time to time. I have to agree, the fish skin certainly comes into the yuk category. Fungi, I just find fascinating! XXX

Welcome back Mary! July in NZ is certainly not a time to crinkle up. It will be cold, but rarely cold enough to snow. I have to agree about the Autumn foliage. Mum and Dad have planted so many lovely trees for their foliage, so it is stunning around here. They are saying the farm is getting too much for them, so I am taking in every wonderful detail while I can. XXX