Sunday, March 16, 2008

A.W.O.L.

Sorry everyone! School has been so busy, and I have been enjoying it so much that I have neglected my blog. I've got a bit of bloggy reading to catch up on. Awesome. We've had a bit of a blow with our house build, however I am really looking on the bright side. First the bad bit. The building company we had a contract with collapsed. So they have our deposit and we thought we had nothing. We do own the piece of land, so are very glad we didn't have a house and land package, which are very popular here. Hopefully we will get some money back, plus the company liquidator is handing over our house plans. So the good bit is that we are going ahead but are controlling the build ourselves. I am so excited because when you go with a building company you can be a bit restricted in choices, so now I am back to the drawing board with interior ideas, flooring, the designs of the kitchen and bathroom, handles etc, etc. Plus we can keep a closer eye on costs of things, and make economical choices and negotiate prices. The best thing is that instead of the company taking on the build and us standing back and going in when it is finished, we can involve our extended family and friends in the process. I want to look at eco-friendly options too- I'm sure you will all be pleased to hear that! Secretly I'm a bit of a greenie. I want to be able to say Dad made that, Mum helped me with that, that artwork was made by ____, my brother came and helped with ______ etc. So anyone who wants to contribute will be welcomed with open arms. Then it will be a real friend and family house! I love the idea. The style will be modern English country. Uncluttered and comfortable. And to Gigibird, I will be revisiting the Farrow and Ball paint chart for a rethink. With the building company we were restricted to 5 paint colours. Not any more.

By the way, I met the wonderful Alison, of So Tread Softly fame, yesterday. She is THE BEST!!!! We got on so well. I just love her sense of humour and sense of style. She is going to be so helpful with my house interior design, as she is definately a modern English country style girl. I can't wait to visit her beautifully renovated villa (if she doesn't move on to a new project first). She gave me one of her fabulous flower brooches. I must take a photo for you. She manages to create things with a gorgeous country feel that are perfectly constructed. Best wishes for your next craft fair, Al!

Bye for now everyone. I promise to update soon.
Ps. Alison, you should be looking for a new house project down here in Christchurch - preferably next door to me.

2 comments:

Gigibird said...

Real life is infinitively better and more important than Blogland.

Every cloud has a silver lining….maybe this is the best thing that could have happened to your house plans…. I know there is always the matter of budget but if you are going to have a house made from scratch than it should be completely tailored to your personal requirements otherwise what is the point.

So pleased you and Alison have finally met up….aren’t you on different Islands?

Anonymous said...

Hi babe...looking forward to our Easter festivities!! I am looking forward to seeing your new Brooch...I want to learn to make those wee ruffle puff thingies...must have a look in that book you gave me, I am sure there will be instructions in there.
I want to go to the Riccarton Market and look for treasures on Sunday..are you up for it??
See you Saturday!! Yay!!
Rubytwoshoes